Tuesday arrives with another trip to hospital for a planned clinic day. It’s time for another lumbar puncture and bone marrow aspiration to check if the leukaemia has come back or decided to stay buggered off.
It’s difficult to know what’s happening right now with Kip’s bone marrow, and because we don’t know that it’s impossible to know what’s going to happen next.
Except, that is to say, we know we have a long wait ahead as we have these procedures once every four weeks and hope the blood analysis shows something conclusive either way.
It’s the not knowing that’s the worst. Sometimes you wish for a known quantity so you can at least make a plan. Sometimes you wish to be able to do something other than “come back in four weeks and see if it’s any different”.
One good sign is that we didn’t get a phonecall late in the afternoon saying cancer cells were back, as happened back in October. If the phone doesn’t ring, it’s a good sign!
Another good thing is the energy Kip had to run around the garden with Millie in the snow, burning twigs and pretending the grass is lava.
What amazing kids.